There is no doubt in the fact that it is one of the most controversial questions when we compare Apple with the rest of the gadgets available to us.
One could find millions who will favor Apple all the time, on the other hand, one can also find people who hate the company for their brand value and overpriced smartphones, iPads, computers, and now smartwatch.
Before I present my views on this debatable question, I would like to tell everyone that each one of us has our own experiences with the various brands, and what I present here is my own recount with Apple.
I am glad that Apple is around as it has helped a lot in pushing the technologies forward and might have brought a perfect product for you, your family, and your friends too, still I think that they have been fooling people with their products and the price at which these products are sold.
iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch: Use or Show-off?
There is hardly any person on this planet who does not know what an iPhone is. Recently, Apple came up with iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, and 6S plus models of the iPhone range $549-$949.
There were thousands who stood in line for hours to purchase this updated new model on the day of its release.
All that matters is, how much one wishes to spend and how much do they covet the updated iPhones.
There is no talk about the specifications and other features that it possesses. Many don’t even know the real value of the Apple product they are buying.
There are many other smartphones present in the market that can easily beat the Apple flagship in terms of performance as well as quality, still people are running after an iPhone.
The same goes for the iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
One can easily find better laptops and tablets when compared to iPads and Macbooks at the same price out there, but why do they choose these over others?
Are these Apple products the best gadgets in the world? Do they never malfunction?
Or it’s just a marketing strategy by the company that makes you purchase them without giving another thought?
Here are a few reasons that might open your eyes
- You are giving up your freedom to make choice by agreeing to their terms and conditions. Many of us don’t care to read the “Terms and Conditions” page when an update is offered on the device. However, very few people know that there was an iPad update back in 2012 in which the software was allowed to debit money from the owner’s card for downloading items via App Store.
- Apple hates competition. I think this is visible to all of us. One can never find competitive applications on its App store, not because the apps are offensive or rude, it’s just because they want to promote their own products.
- Apple is a nightmare for app developers. Obviously, it lures the new developers with the visions of fame and wealth, but most of them fail to meet their conditions and lose their investments as well as confidence.
- Ebooks with DRM will not run on any iProduct until and unless it is jailbroken.
- Apple is always spying on you. They have been providing faulty upgrades with the tag “You have a choice, but unless you say yes, your old activities will stop working”. This simply shows that Apple doesn’t force anything on its users, but they will get punished if they don’t accept it.
- Not to forget, there was a security hole in iTunes which was left unfixed for 3 years. The government used that security hole to access people’s private computers and extract information from them. The flaw was rectified only when it was discovered. There might be many security holes present in their software right now hidden from us and leaking our personal information to them.
- Apple is one of the most profit-making companies in the world. They made a profit of $11.1 billion in the 4th quarter of 2015. This is simply because the products they sell are extremely overpriced. A tear-down report told us that the manufacturing cost of an iPhone 6 is just $200.10 and it is sold for $649 giving a 69% profit margin to the company.
- The price of an Apple Watch starts from $349 and goes up to $17000 for a gold edition of the Apple Watch. Do you really think a smartwatch is worth that price? Seriously?
- Most of the features that you get in an Apple product are not the latest. You can easily find other gadgets that offer much better technology and features at a much lower price. For example, Samsung Galaxy S6 has a much better camera when compared to the iPhone 6 and costs much less than an iPhone. Similarly, a newly launched Moto 360 smartwatch features more features than an Apple watch.
In the end, I would like to say that I understand how hard it is to make an Apple fan realize that there is something better available out there.
Still, I never get tired of explaining it to as many people as possible. If they are selling quality and reliability (as people say), they can sell it for a lower price and while making less profit too.
It doesn’t matter how much money you have, but is the product that you are buying is worth that amount? For Apple products, it’s absolutely not.